Sunday 16 September 2012

Why I won't run the #gnr again (probably)

I'm on my way home from the GNR. I very much enjoyed the run. I achieved a comfortable PB. The people of Newcastle are generally very friendly. And the run is very well organised - the scale is impressive. I got to high five Mo Farah and Ellie Simmonds at the start. And the Red Arrows were great.

But. I probably won't run it again.

1) It's too expensive. Entry, hotel, train, and breakfast alone came to over £200. And this was with staying in a hostel.

2) It's too far away from home. In the 7 hours it took me to get there I could have flown to New York.

3) Travelling on East Coast trains at the weekend means overcrowded and cancelled trains.

4) Newcastle hasnt enough accomodation to meet demand. I've twice found myself in terrible accomodation (yet expensive).

5) They have a really rubbish pasta party which needs to be in Newcastle, not Gateshead. Its not really a party and the portions tiny.

6) The restaurants in Newcastle are not brilliant. And there is very little open for breakfast.

7) The route essentially follows a motorway/dual carriageway. Not particularly attractive.

8) Newcastle on a Saturday night isnt much fun by yourself. It's a bit like Croydon or Blackpool. Full of stag and Hen parties. The main cultural attraction I came across was the Ladyboys of Bangkok (which I am sure may be good, but probably not for me - especially alone).





very well organised /scale huge

No comments:

Post a Comment