Saturday 14 May 2011

Wells? Call that a city?

After offending the people of Frenchay yesterday, its time to move on to Wells.

Now, dont get me wrong, it is a very beautiful town. But it's not a bloody city. For a start, I couldnt find either a Weatherspoons, a Greggs or a Burger King.

Golly, however, the people of the town do like to dress up. I've never before seen such a beautifully dressed group of people. The restaurants look nice, the place is very pretty. But it isnt a city.

For a start, where are the kids having fun on a Saturday night? Where are the nightclubs or loud pubs?

I have to say though (and perhaps it's me getting old), I liked the place and would gladly move there.

Anyway, today I cycled from Bristol to Wooky. A total of 66.67km according to my garmin. This was the first day of my trip along the national cycle network route 3 from Bristol to Padstow.

It took me about 30 minutes to get to the start of the route. The disused Bristol to Bath train path. It was a very nice start to my ride. A flat 25km on a route I couldnt go wrong on.







I saw a steam train, Thomas, a disused platform turned into a cafe and a big group doing a charity walk.






Annoyingly the signage (lack of) meant I missed my junction and ended up doing 4km or so more than I should.

The next 20 or so kilometers went through some nice little villages.






But... Why did no-one tell me the route went over the Mendips. Let's just say the last 20km were very hilly.

Anyway, got to Wooky, tent up, then popped into Wells where I managed to buy 3 meals from the coop for £8.

Am staying at Homestead Park. The showers are hot. And the lady at reception was very nice.

When I offered to pay by cheque they wanted my cheque guarantee card. Who knew people still did that?

So this is my tent below. I'm planning to get in there now. The last time I went camping my tent blew down with our 4 year old still sleeping in it (and oblivious). I'm slightly scarred. Wish me well.






And this is where I cycled on Saturday 14th. Bristol to Wooky

No comments:

Post a Comment