Sunday 30 January 2011

The long run

I've just put my run this morning into Gmaps Pedometer. I wanted to check the accuracy of the Garmin. Today I waited a few minutes to allow the Garmin to find the signal so it should have been pretty accurate.

The results. Garmin had me doing 25.31km. Gmap Pedometer had me at 25.576km. So pretty close. Here is the Gmap link: http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=4263066

I'll post the Garmin map here when I've synched the watch.

By the way, I use a garmin 301. In the main it has been great (and you can buy them very cheap now from ebay). The big advantage is the long battery life - about 13 hours of running (or other exercise). The virtual partner is very useful and pushes me to run faster when I use it - not often i have to say. I've thought about getting one of the newer ones. Partly bacause the technology is a bit old now and I'm sure the newer ones would give me more accurate distances and find the satellites quicker.

The main issue for me though is that the battery life on the newest one I like is only 5 hours. And because I'm so slow, it means it would probably run out before I've finished a marathon.

No comments:

Post a Comment