Wednesday 21 September 2011

The world's best scrambled egg

Imagine my delight at coming down to breakfast and discovering scrambled eggs which didn't look overcooked.

You may not realise this but I strive for the prefect scrambled egg. Whether it be at home or in a hotel, I find myself becoming terribly grumpy at bad scrambled egg.

As you know, I am not a fussy eater and I hate waste. So far too often I clear a plate even if it's not particularly good. But my limit is scrambled egg. I simply can't eat bad scrambled egg.

This frequently causes familial issues where I end up cooking two lots of scrambled egg (some people insist on overcooked eggs). When family members have made me bad scrambled egg I come across as stuck-up for refusing to eat it.

So I'm delighted to launch today the first annual search for the best scrambled egg. I was going to limit my search to Britain but I will give the rest of the world a chance. That said, my experience of scrambled egg across mainland Europe is not a good one. Don't hold your hopes up Brussels.

To give a few tips for potential entrants, the most common mistake is that scrambled eggs are over-cooked. It's very easy to over cook scrambled eggs (even I sometimes do it so you can be forgiven). And hotel chains tend to deliver the worst examples. They frequently put overcooked scrambled eggs on a huge hotplate over a flame at 6 am. They are slowly cremated. That said, I've been to a couple of hotels which have done it well so it isn't impossible.

The ultimate crime against scrambled egg is to use some sort of fake egg mix to make it. It tastes and looks terrible. Don't do it.

Scrambled egg does need good seasoning. And it (probably- someone prove me wrong here) needs to be cooked using butter.

Scrambled egg often works well complemented with something like chilli or a tiny scraping of marmite. I personally prefer to under season and add the salt through marmite.

I'm after your nominations and I will try them out and report back. If you think you cook the best scrambled egg (at home, in a hotel or a restaurant) let me know and I will happily pop over to try it out. Do post your nominations below.

I will do this over the next 12 months so the deadline for entries is 20th September 2012. Which is my 38th birthday. On that morning I will return to the best provider and reward them with a homemade certificate. They will be so excited.

Give me your nominations below.

Location:Moseley St,Birmingham,United Kingdom

No comments:

Post a Comment