Sunday 15 July 2012

Campsites on the West Country Way



Last year I cycled from Bristol to Bodmin.

I've just found some notes I made about different camp sites along the way and thought I would share them. I went in May 2011. It wasn't school holidays so managed to get in everywhere easily. The busiest site was also the uglyist.


Quite a pretty (and small) camping field in a nice little village. I managed to get a space along the stream. It's a very pretty town and has a couple of nice pubs selling local cider. The showers worked.

The site did remind me how caravans do make for ugly sites. Hard standing is not attractive.

It's at the bottom of a very steep hill which is apparently not appropriate for Charabancs.























There aren't many facilities in Wookey Hole and no cash machine. I had to pay by cheque and the owner insisted on a cheque guarantee card.

I cycled the two miles into Wells in the evening, partly to get to see the town (SEE XXX)



It's hard to find much nice to say about this site. It's almost 2 miles from town. "1 1/2 miles from everything except the motorway" joked the owner. I feel misled that it uses "farm" in the title.


















If you haven't a car it's a very dull place to stay. it features possibly the most annoying shower I've ever experienced on a camp site, switching off every 10 seconds and varying in temperature. It did have wifi and there are some local pizza places which will deliver to the site.
Despite it being a pleasant evening no-one was out in front of their caravans. All seemingly sitting watching tv.

Taunton on a Sunday night is dull. Nothing is open.



This site is up a very steep hill on the edge of Exmoor. It's about a mile from Winsford. There is a pleasant local pub (link). But it was a bit of a walk away and very dark on the way home with no street lighting.























I didnt actually get to meet the owner but left cheque in letter box.


A very affable farmer welcomed me. It was pretty good value and they sold eggs from the farm. There were few other tents the week I was there. A clean and nice shower block. I really liked the site.


 


I was the only tent in the field and felt a little lonely. That said I didnt arrive until late. I was welcomed by the owner (and the pigs).

I suspect the showers get busy when full. I probably wouldnt have chosen this place except for its convenient location between two other stops. It's actually an angling farm.




Again, I was made very welcome. The owner made me a coffee on my arrival. They had a nice little room where I could plug in my phone and watch the TV. I was the only person on the site. It is a steep walk down 1.5 miles down to sea at Cracklington. Sitting in the pub felt like being an extra in Home and Away. Showers included a mop. All very nice.







No comments:

Post a Comment