Sunday 20 February 2011

Brighton residents - where were you?

Very much enjoyed the Brighton half marathon this morning.

I was about 10 minutes quicker than I'd planned to be (and 10 mins quicker than I achieved in my last half marathon - Run to the Beat - in October 2010) and sped up towards the end. My last km was pretty fast for me and I think I managed a negative split. Weather was good (ie not wet nor too cold) for February.Whilst I am often towards the back of these races, it remains nice to be faster than a few people five years younger (and 5 or more stone lighter) than I.

I experimented with Runkeeper (http://runkeeper.com/user/sinclairda/activity/26450013). It allowed the family to track where I was on the route at any point. And the distance was pretty accurate I think.

The race was well organised in the main although the event organisers could put on more toilets. Huge queues at the start. At the outdoor beach volleyball court near the start, two staff were in place to stop people weeing on their wall. But perhaps they would have had more success if they had just opened their doors and let people use their toilets.

But main observation was the very real lack of support from locals. Almost no clapping or support along the route (except from the family). Generally a pretty poor atmosphere.

A well managed/organised race in the main. And at least this time they hadnt run out of bananas by the time us slow people came through.

Most importantly, I had fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment